Run into a problem with Swedish national characters in that they show up as yen-signs etc. A problem with the charset in the database I gather, possibly in conjunction with the language settings in the website framework.
In any case, I'm working on it. It seems a little tricky to fix, as it turns out...
Update: Problem temporarily fixed by resetting the database to UTF8 and using html-coding for the Swedish national characters, eg aumlaut& for ä.
Something fishy is definitely going on here. Some more troubleshooting is needed...
Update 2: It would seem that even if I change the database collation and connection to the correct one (utf8mb4_general_ci in this case to support the four-byte Swedish national charset), this will only affect newly created databases and possibly only new tables in the old database. I give up for now. At least until I can't stand the ugly looking characters anymore...
Update 3: I think I found a working solution for now. Encapsulating the article source with the below seems to do the trick.
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"/>
Some article text.
Good enough IMO.